Westsail Owners Alliance - Post: "Flying Flag From The Backstay"
Westsail Westsail Owners Affiliation
 Important information about this site! 

Post: "Flying Flag From The Backstay"

12,268 posts on 2,444 threads   •   From Mar 07, 2004 - Jan 08, 2012


Text Strings  

Full Phrase  


All Words  

Any Word  


Message Text

Text & Author  

Message Author Message Content   (1 of 1)
- Archived Message from Inactive Forum -

Aaron Norlund


Not exactly - you're thinking of the plasticized rigger's tape, which is good stuff for some things. It would probably work for this even - the goal is it increase the friction of the seine to prevent whatever your seizIng from moving.

The parcel to which I'm referring though, is a black cloth-based tape that is saturated and coated with a tar-like substance. Whatever the coating is, it is not sticky to the skin, but clings well to metal, and adheres to itself when tension is applied.

I believe it can be purchased from R&W Ropes (www.rwropes.com), and is called something along the lines of "self-amalgamating rigging parcel tape". It can also be found in industrial fishing supply stores. R&W Ropes also sells tarred seine twines, Davie Co. Hardware, and other traditional marine stuff.

Aaron N.

Showing record #1 of 1 matching record

Showing record #1 of 1 matching record

  Forum Archive Home    Back to Previous Page   Show Posts w/ Images   Windbag Newsletter 
This site is provided as service to Westsail Owners by Jack Webb on Westsail 32, Hull #438, at http://HighSeasDrifter.net,
This site is provided as service to Westsail Owners by  Jack Webb (s/v Drifter, Westsail 32, Hull #438)
FLASH... Large inventory of used sailboat equipment, parts & supplies at great prices. After a 10-year circumnavigation in a Westsail 43, the owners are now clearing out all the excess and getting back to life ashore. Outfit your boat with well-kept equipment and save yourself a bunch of cash in the process!

See the full list here!